There are not many positive things about getting involved in an accident due to someone else's foolish mistakes. More than likely, you've suffered physically and financially and will probably have to seek the services of a personal injury attorney to get fairly compensated.
There is, however, one thing that you absolutely need to do while you're in recovery from the accident: Follow your doctor's orders. Otherwise, you may become your own worst enemy when it comes to getting fair compensation for your losses.
You have a duty to mitigate your damages.
As frustrating as it may be to have to deal with the consequences of someone else's poor choices, you have a legal obligation to try to improve your situation. That means doing things like:
- Following through on a doctor's recommendation for physical therapy (even if you really doubt it will help)
- Seeing a specialist for a recommendation (even if you suspect the visit will be fruitless)
- Keeping your follow-up appointments (even when they seem like a waste of time)
- Going through with surgery if there is a reasonable expectation that it will repair your injury and the risk to you is minimal
- Not relying solely on alternative medical treatment, like acupuncture or homeopathic treatments -- even if you prefer natural medical methods over traditional medicine
Your attorney can help you better understand your obligations.
If you're in doubt about whether or not you should follow your doctor's advice and how your choice could affect your personal injury claim, discuss the issue with your attorney. For a better idea of how an attorney can guide you through the claims process after an injury, please continue exploring our site or contact us directly.