The People’s Lawyer

What damages can you recover after a car accident?

On Behalf of | Dec 18, 2020 | Personal Injury Claims

If you have been in a car accident, the physical injuries and emotional trauma you experience may be hard to overcome. You may have to endure countless surgeries and medical treatments, making it impossible to work and earn a living. Filing a personal injury lawsuit against the parties at-fault for your accident can provide you with compensation for your injuries and allow you to financially support you and your family during this difficult time.

Car accident damages generally fall under one of two categories: economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages include quantifiable expenses relating to your accident, while non-economic damages refer to intangible damages that can be more difficult to calculate.

Economic damages

Economic damages often consist of:

  • Medical expenses – You can recover damages for past and future medical costs for hospital stays, medical treatments and surgeries, prescribed medications, medical devices, and rehabilitation.
  • Lost wages – You can recover damages for the wages/salary you are not able to earn while recovering from your injuries.
  • Loss of earning capacity – If you unable to fully recover from your injuries, you may no longer be able to return to the job you used to have before the accident. You can recover damages for your diminished earning capacity.

Non-economic damages

Non-economic damages typically include:

  • Emotional distress
  • Mental anguish
  • Physical pain and suffering
  • Permanent disfigurement and/or disability
  • Loss of enjoyment of life

A personal injury attorney in the Charles Town area can review your case and help evaluate the severity of your injuries to give you a better idea of how much compensation you can expect to recover.